MI Choice Waiver Program
MI Choice provides you with the choice to remain living in a community setting instead of a nursing home. MI Choice services can be provided in
- your own home
- the home of a caregiver or family member
- a residential setting such as an assisted living facility, adult foster care home or home for the aged
MI Choice is a community based program for people who are
- 18 years of age and older and
- eligible to have Medicaid pay for their long term care services and supports.
MI Choice has specific income, asset and level of care requirements. To find out if you are eligible, you should call an AAANM I&A Specialist at 1-800-442-1713. You will be asked a series of health related questions to help determine if you qualify for an in-home assessment. If you qualify for an assessment you will either be referred to the scheduler or placed on a waiting list if the program is at capacity.
A Supports Coordinator (Nurse and/or Social Worker) will conduct an in-home assessment to determine your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible they will also work with you to develop a plan that will allow you to live as independently as possible. The Supports Coordinator will help you monitor your plan and make changes to your plan as your needs change.
There are 20 different MI Choice services and supports that you may be eligible to include in your plan such as:
- Personal Care and Homemaking services
- Community Living Supports
- Private Duty Nursing
- Respite Care
- Adult Day Services
- Home Delivered Meals
- Personal Emergency Response Units
- Environmental Adaptations and more
Paying for your services:
All MI Choice services are funded by Medicaid through the Michigan Department of Community Health and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.