Community Transition Services

The Care Transition Services Program is for older adults and adults with disabilities who reside in a nursing home and want to talk with someone about other living options. Whether living in a nursing home for a few months or a few years, if interested in moving out, we are here to help.

AdobeStock 231892020
AdobeStock 142789102
AdobeStock 301224474

You may choose to return to home, move in with family or friends, find an apartment, or choose another living option in the community which could include licensed adult foster care or senior living.
We offer transition planning with our licensed social workers and/or registered nurses helps identify appropriate support and services you may need to make the transition. Following a move back to the community, we ensure you have the continued support you need to be successful living in a community environment.
But what if I no longer have a home or apartment to move back to? AAANM has a Housing Specialist on staff that will work with you to understand your housing preferences and assist in finding you affordable, accessible housing where you want to live.



  • 18 years of age or older.
  • Medically and financially eligible to have Medicaid pay for your long-term care.
  • Currently reside in a nursing home.

How the Community Transition Services Program may help you: 

  • If you do not have a place to move to, we will explore housing options with you.
  • If you already have housing, we can help you determine if home modifications or assistive devices will benefit you.
  • If you do not have funding to pay start-up costs, there may be financial support for things like security deposits and utility hook-ups.
  • If you need help establishing a household, we can help you obtain furniture and purchase kitchen and household supplies to get you started.
  • If you will need services and supports to live in your new setting, we will identify the services and supports that you will be eligible to receive once you return to community living. Every situation is unique and is evaluated individually.

Support services available include:

  • Adult Day Services
  • Community Living Supports
  • Home Delivered Meals
  • Homemaking
  • Personal Care
  • Personal Emergency Response Units
  • Private Duty Nursing
  • Respite Care

Getting started

Simply call us at 800-442-1713 and ask for information about the Community Transition Services program. During the phone call we will ask questions about you. After the phone call, a Supports Coordinator will contact you to schedule an appointment to meet. Feel free to invite anyone you want to have present with you, such as your spouse, partner, adult children, siblings, or trusted friend to that first meeting where you will learn more about your options.

When we meet, we will complete a non-biased assessment and provide you information so you can make an informed choice on all options available to you.

Community Transition Services are paid for by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

Skip to content