What is Personal Action Toward Health (PATH)?
The Stanford Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), called PATH (Personal Action Toward Health) in Michigan, is a workshop that empowers people to take an active role in managing a chronic or long-term health condition. Workshops meet for 6 weeks, in 2 ½ hour sessions each week. Workshops are offered in convenient, easily accessible community locations, and are offered for free, or at very low cost to participants.
Who should participate?
Adults with any chronic or long-term health conditions including arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, asthma, bronchitis and depression.
Family members, friends, and caregivers are also encouraged to attend the workshop.
PATH Leaders Needed!
Each PATH workshop is led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom should (ideally) have a chronic or long term illness.
A PATH Leader should meet the following qualifications:
- Possesses good listening skills, is non-judgmental
- Is a role model for healthy behaviors
- Has some experience with, and is comfortable, speaking in front of groups
- Reads, writes and speaks fluently the language in which s/he will be training
- Is able to follow a scripted manual
- Possesses life experience resulting in empathy to the needs and abilities of older adults
- Is dependable and consistent
- May or may not be a health professional. If the leader is a health professional, they must be able to facilitate as a peer leader and not as a health professional.
A PATH Leader must also meet these requirements:
- Be willing and available to attend a 4 day Leader Training
- Be willing and available to co-facilitate one workshop within six months of attending
- Co-facilitate at least one workshop once a year to remain certified
- Participate in Michigan Partners on the PATH data collection
|PATH Leader Trainings in Northern Michigan (Training Application Attached)|
|4-Day Chronic Disease PATH Leader Training||March 19, 20, 26 & 27, 2014||Gaylord1|
|4-Day Chronic Disease PATH Leader Training||April 7, 8, 14 & 15, 2014||Traverse City2|
|4-Day Diabetes PATH Leader Training||May 19, 20, 29 & 30, 2014||Traverse City2|
|4-Day Diabetes PATH Leader Training||May 21, 22, 27 & 28, 2014||West Branch1|
|2-Day Chronic Pain PATH Leader Cross-Training*||May 22 & 23, 2014||Traverse City2|
|2-Day Diabetes PATH Leader Cross-Training*||June 11 & 12, 2014||Grayling1|
|2-Day Chronic Pain PATH Leader Cross-Training*||June 25 & 26, 2014||Gaylord1|
|*Cross-Trainings are open to existing PATH leaders only.|
For statewide information about MI PATH, including scheduled PATH workshops and leader trainings, visit www.MiHealthyPrograms.org
For information or to register, contact the Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Michigan at 800-442-1713 (unless a different number is given).